a linux printer driver for OAKT protocol
e.g. HP Color LaserJet 1500, Kyocera KM-1635/KM-2035
Tarball last modified: Fri Jun 27 09:41:53 2014 CDT
Reports from users (as of 04/11/04) are that this driver works in monochrome and in 1-bit color.
*** DON'T USE the foo2zjs package from:
*** Download it here and follow the directions below.
Ubuntu, SUSE, Mandrake/Manrivia, Debian, RedHat, Fedora, Gentoo, Xandros, EEE PC, Linpus, MacOSX, or BSD!
foo2oak is a printer driver for printers that use the Oak Technology (now Zoran) OAKT protocol for their print data, such as the HP Color LaserJet 1500, Kyocera KM-1635 and the Kyocera KM-2035. These printers are often erroneously referred to as winprinters or GDI printers. However, Microsoft GDI only mandates the API between an application and the printer driver, not the protocol on the wire between the printer driver and the printer. In fact, OAKT printers are raster printers which happen to use a fairly efficient wire protocol which was developed by Oak Technology and licensed by some printer manufacturers for at least some of their product lines. OAKT is just one of many wire protocols that are in use today, such as Postscript, PCL, Epson, ZjStream, etc.
This driver uses Ghostscript to perform all of the heavy lifting (image processing). There are five major components to the foo2oak printer driver.
- foo2oak - the page image to protocol conversion engine of the driver.
- foo2oak-wrapper - a shell script (compatible with foomatic) which runs ghostscript and foo2oak in a pipeline.
- icc2ps - converts an ICM color profile to a Postscript CRD, which is then fed into Ghostscript before the users Postscript program.
- foomatic-db - foomatic database entries which describe the supported printers and their options so that printer spoolers know how to access the printer using foo2oak-wrapper.
- oakdecode - a tool for developers to inspect OAKT protocol.
You can read the manual pages for more information.
With the foo2oak driver, you can print to some HP and possibly other OAKT protocol printers:
Driver Notes HP Color LaserJet 1500 Yes ? Yes ? foo2oak ALPHA QUALITY Kyocera KM-1635 Yes No No No foo2oak ALPHA QUALITY Kyocera KM-2035 Yes No No No foo2oak ALPHA QUALITY
These printers are not supported by this driver:
Unsupported Printer Notes HP LaserJet Pro CP1025nw Supported by my foo2zjs driver HP LaserJet Pro P1102/P1102w Supported by my foo2zjs driver HP LaserJet Pro P1566 Supported by my foo2zjs driver HP LaserJet Pro P1606dn Supported by my foo2zjs driver HP LaserJet P2035 Supported by my foo2zjs driver HP LaserJet 1018/1020/1022 Supported by my foo2zjs driver HP LaserJet 1000/1005 Supported by my foo2zjs driver HP LaserJet M1319 MFP Supported by my foo2zjs driver HP LaserJet P1005/P1006/P1007/P1008 Supported by my foo2xqx driver HP LaserJet P1505/P2014 Supported by my foo2xqx driver HP LaserJet M1005/M1120 MFP Supported by my foo2xqx driver HP LaserJet Pro M1212nf MFP Supported by my foo2xqx driver Minolta-QMS magicolor 2200/2300 DL Supported by my foo2zjs driver Konica Minolta magicolor 2430 DL Supported by my foo2zjs driver HP Color LaserJet CP1215 Supported by my foo2hp driver HP Color LaserJet 1600/2600n Supported by my foo2hp driver HP Color LaserJet 2605dn Unsupported. Use Postscript Konica Minolta magicolor 2480/2490 MF Supported by my foo2lava driver Konica Minolta magicolor 2530 DL Supported by my foo2lava driver Konica Minolta magicolor 1680MF/1690MF Supported by my foo2lava driver Konica Minolta magicolor 1600W Supported by my foo2lava driver Oki C110 Supported by my foo2lava driver Xerox Phaser 6121MFP Supported by my foo2lava driver Samsung CLP-300/310/315/325/365/600/610/620 Supported by my foo2qpdl driver Samsung CLX-2160/3160/3175/3185 Supported by my foo2qpdl driver Xerox Phaser 6110 Supported by my foo2qpdl driver Lexmark C500n Supported by my foo2slx driver Oki C301dn/C310dn Supported by my foo2hiperc driver Oki C810 Supported by my foo2hiperc driver Oki C3100n/C3200n/C3300/C3400n Supported by my foo2hiperc driver Oki C5100n/C5200n Supported by my foo2hiperc driver Oki C5500n/C5600n/C5650n/C5800n Supported by my foo2hiperc driver Olivetti d-Color P160W Supported by my foo2hiperc driver Dell 1355 Supported by my foo2hbpl driver Epson AcuLaser M1400 Supported by my foo2hbpl driver Fuji Xerox DocuPrint CM205 Supported by my foo2hbpl driver Fuji Xerox DocuPrint M215 Supported by my foo2hbpl driver Fuji Xerox DocuPrint P205 Supported by my foo2hbpl driver Xerox WorkCentre 3045 Supported by my foo2hbpl driver Xerox WorkCentre 6015 Supported by my foo2hbpl driver Minolta/QMS magicolor 2300W/2400W/2500W Try the m2300w driver Minolta/QMS PagePro 12xxW Try Beetman's 1200W driver or Schiller's 1xxW driver Minolta/QMS PagePro 13xxW Try Beetman's 1200W driver or Schiller's 1xxW driver Konica Minolta PagePro 14xxW Try Schiller's 1xxW driver
foo2zjs is open source software that is downloaded over the internet. No media (CD) will be shipped in exchange for your donation.
I keep a record of everyone who has contributed to this driver, in terms of 1) money or equipment, 2) usable bug reports, 3) code and advice.
There are over 403,721 unique IP addresses that have downloaded this driver. There are only a handful of people who have ever contributed to this project (and my thanks go out to them).
Click the link, or cut and paste the whole command line below to download the driver.
$ wget -O foo2zjs.tar.gz http://foo2zjs.rkkda.com/foo2zjs.tar.gz
Now unpack it:Unpack: $ tar zxf foo2zjs.tar.gz $ cd foo2zjs
Now compile and install it. The INSTALL file contains more detailed instructions; please read it now.Compile: $ make Get extra files from the web, such as .ICM profiles for color correction. Select the model number for your printer: $ ./getweb 1500 # Get HP Color LaserJet 1500 .ICM files Install driver, foomatic XML files, and extra files: $ su # make install
Now create printer entries for your spooler. Create at least one queue for monochrome, and another queue for color printing. Create the queues first, then edit them and set the device options as desired. See your operating system documentation for further details on creating a printer queue.For Redhat 7.2/7.3/8.0/9.0 and Fedora Core 1-5 users:For Fedora 6/7/.../20, and Ubuntu 7.10/8.x/.../14.x users:# printconf-guiFor Mandrake/Manrivia users:$ system-config-printerFor Suse 10.x/11.x users:# printerdrakeFor Ubuntu 5.10/6.06/6.10/7.04 users:# yastFor Debian 3.x, 4.x, and other systems that use CUPS http://localhost:631$ sudo gnome-cups-manager $ sudo make cups # IMPORTANT: gnome-cups-manager has a BUG in itCommand line using CUPS:$ firefox http://localhost:631# lpadmin -p "NAME" -v "URI" -E -P /usr/share/cups/model/file.ppd.gz # lpadmin -d "NAME" # Set the default
For low level testing, you could also create a "raw queue", which will accept OAKT files as-is and send them directly to the printer.
If you installed as per the above instructions, then click on our forums for questions and support.
If you installed a THIRD PARTY (e.g. Ubuntu, Gentoo, etc.) foo2zjs package, then read the INSTALL file and follow the directions. No third party support is given. You MUST install using the above procedure.
- Can output in 1 or 2 bit monochrome and color, but none of these have been tuned yet, even on a gross level. Tuning requires having one of these printers.
- The manufacturer-supplied ICM color profiles can help considerably in getting the right colors out of the printer, even though they are not tuned to the particular characteristics of Ghostscript+foo2oak. However, I have been unable to locate the HP ICC/ICM files for this printer.
If anybody can supply an ICC/ICM color profile for this printer, I will add the option to select the profile to the foomatic driver options.
- Need to support a better input color file format which includes explicit page boundary indications. The current use of the Ghostscript bitcmyk format precludes having pages of different sizes within a Postscript stream.
- www.worldlabel.com - Worldlabel.Com: A Brand Name in Laser Labels & Inkjet Labels
- Gnome Manual Duplex - Manual Duplex for Gnome
- www.linuxprinting.org - Home of foomatic
- ZjStream Reference - Overview of ZjS data format
- MacOSX INSTALL.osx - Directions for Mac OSX
- Printing booklets - ... with PSUTILS -- support for creep (shingling)
- Argyll Color Management System - Argyll is an open source, ICC compatible color management system
- Profiles By Rick - Possible source for buying a custom .ICM color profile ($25)
- MadManChan's Custom Printer Profiles - Possible source for buying a custom .ICM color profile ($30)
- Great Printer Profiles - Possible source for buying a custom .ICM color profile ($35)
- Dry Creek Photo - Possible source for buying a custom .ICM color profile ($50)
- ColorValet - Possible source for buying a custom .ICM color profile ($100)
- The Digital Dog - Possible source for buying a custom .ICM color profile ($100)
- http://www.color.org/ - The International Color Consortium
- Gernot Hoffmann - Color printer test pages